TSC Recruitment Requirements for Teachers 2023-2024
TSC Recruitment Requirements – Check details:
Pursuant Article 237 (2) b and c, of the Constitution of Kenya the Teachers Service Commission is mandated to recruit and employ registered teachers; and assign such teachers for service in any public school or institution.
Teacher recruitment is done in accordance with the recruitment guideline issued by the Commission from time to time. The commission advertises the available vacancies and interested candidates submit the application forms to the County/Institutions where they would wish to be considered for employment. Shortlisted candidates are invited to appear before a recruitment panel.
To be employed by the Commission one must meet the following requirements;
- Must be a Kenyan citizen
- Must be 45 years of age and below
- Must be registered as a teacher as stipulated in Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission Act 2012.
NB: Those registered but do not possess Certificates of Registration must attach a copy of online printout of TSC Number and original bank pay- in slip for teacher registration.
- Original Professional and Academic Certificates which may include;
- CPE/KCPE Certificate
- KCE/KCSE Certificate
- PTE Certificate
- Diploma Certificate
- Degree Certificate
- School Leaving Certificates
NB: Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the onus of the concerned teacher to follow-up with KNEC within 14 days.
- Graduate Teachers
Applicants must have:
- a minimum mean-grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE and C+ (plus) in each of the two teaching subjects or,
a minimum of two (2) principles and one (1) subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level.
- In addition, they must have:
- A Bachelor of Education Degree with two (2) teaching
- A Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) with two teaching
- Bachelor of Science with Education and Bachelor of Arts with Education with two teaching subjects.
NB: Bachelor of Education holders with C Plain mean grade and C Plain in the two teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a diploma or A-Level also qualify
2.0. Diploma Teachers
Applicants must have:
- a mean grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE or its equivalent and with at least C+ (or Credit Pass) in the two teaching subjects or
a minimum of one (1) principle and two (2) subsidiaries at ‘A’ level or
- In addition, they must have:
- A Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training
- Diploma Teachers who graduated in 2008 or before with a mean grade of C (plain) and C (plain) in the two teaching subjects qualify for consideration.
2.1. Certificate Teachers
- Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and
- PTE Certificate from
- Mean grade of C-(minus) for visually and hearing impaired
- Special Needs Education: KSL and Braille are considered as a second teaching subject e.g., Biology/KSL, Geography/Braille
- Candidates whose training is in subjects that are not in the Kenyan Curriculum don’t qualify for employment irrespective of undertaking a Post Graduate Diploma in education and enhancement.
- Applicants with Economics/Accounting, Social Education, and Ethics can apply for business studies and CRE/IRE vacancies respectively.
- Diploma teachers with English /other subjects qualify for employment as Teacher/Literature teachers.
All applicants must have studied the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for agriculture, business studies, Home Science, and computer. For those who did not study business studies and computer, one should attain a minimum of a C+ in mathematics in KCSE. For those who did not study agriculture and home science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in biology at KCSE.
- Graduate teachers should have studied a minimum of 8-course units in each teaching subjects.
- Candidates presenting enhancements certificates/ transcripts from recognized institutions qualify for employment.
- Applicants previously employed under contract and whose were terminated due to inadequate units in teaching subjects and have since obtained enhancement certificates are eligible to apply.
- Applicants working in other government departments who meet the requirements are eligible to apply.
- b) Teachers who are above 45 years can apply to be recruited on contractual terms.
- Such teachers will be recruited on a 3-year renewable contract subject to performance
- Such teachers engaged in the contract will not serve beyond the age of 65 years
Recruitment and Selection
- Applicants applying for posts in Primary schools must be holders of a P1
- Interested candidates should apply to the TSC County Director, in the County where a vacancy has been advertised and submit all relevant academic and professional documents.
- Primary teachers are usually employed through competitive selection During the selection day one should carry the following original documents to sub-county selection panel.
- National Identity
- CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one repeated exam).
- School/college leaving certificate
- Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the owners of the concerned teacher to follow up with KNEC within 14 days.
- Successful candidates are deployed to serve in any part of the country.
- Applicants applying for posts in Secondary Schools must be holders of a minimum of Diploma in Education Certificate.
- Interested candidates should apply to the Secretary, Board of Management of the school where a vacancy has been advertised and submit a copy of the application to the TSC County Director.
- Please note that The Teachers Service Commission only deals with TSC County Directors and Boards of Management in this exercise. Direct application to the Commission will NOT be considered.
For detailed information on available vacancies in sub-counties and schools/institutions applicants are advised to:
- Visit the TSC Website and/or
- Visit the TSC office at the County or Sub- County of their choice.
For more information and inquiries, contact Teachers Service Commission through the contact details below:
Teachers Service Commission – Kenya
Kilimanjaro Avenue, Upper Hill
020 289 2000
0722 208 552
0777 208 552