Takoradi Technical University TTU Faculty of Engineering
The Faculty of Engineering is the premier Faculty of the Takoradi Technical University. It began with Craft programmes in 1953. Currently, the Faculty has five (5) departments; the Faculty runs HND, B Tech and Technician programmes. The Faculty has a student population of over two thousand, three hundred (2,300) and a staff population of eighty-five (85). The Faculty is also equipped with state-of-the-art facilities for the training of students and the execution of various projects.
The Faculty of Engineering seeks to achieve excellence in the provision of technical education to boost Ghana’s employment and human resource capacity. Again, it intends to go into research and consultancy to improve production in industry and commerce.
The mission of the Faculty of Engineering is to provide higher-level technical education in order to produce highly competent professionals to meet the demand of industries, both locally and internationally.
The Faculty offers the following programmes:
- HND Civil Engineering
- HND Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- HND Mechanical Engineering:
- Auto & Refrigeration
- Plant & Production
- B. Tech Civil Engineering
- B. Tech Electrical Engineering
- B. Tech Mechanical Engineering
The following non-tertiary programmes are also available at the:
- Mechanical Department:
- Motor Vehicle Technician (MVT) Part 1, 2, 3
- Mechanical Engineering Technician (MET) Part 1, 2, 3
- Advanced Welding
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department
- Electrical Engineering Technician (EET) Course Part 1, 2, 3
THE DEAN’S OFFICE
|Mr. John Bentil||M. Sc. (Water & Env. Eng.
Univ. of Hartford-shire
|Mr. Kwarteng Amaniampong||M. Ed. (Administration), UCC||Deputy Registrar (Faculty Officer)|
|Miss Charlotte Effie Odoom||M.A. (Human Resource Dev.), UCC||Assistant Registrar|
|Miss Josephine Ansah||Bachelor of Mgt. Studies, UCC||Snr. Admin. Assistant|
Many of the students of the Faculty of Engineering are working in reputable oil companies – Tullow Ghana Limited, Bart Long, Balkan Energy etc. Because of the excellent performances of our students, Tullow and Balkan have signed a special Memorandum of Understanding with the University for the establishment of a modern laboratory for control and instrumentation systems for the training of skilled technicians.
Some of our staff are on exchange programmes at:
a. the North Alberta Institute of Technology (Canada); and
b. Amatol Inc. Indiamopolis (USA).
- The Faculty of Engineering will soon move to its new site at Akatakye; this new campu is laden with modern state-of-the-art facilities. Under the auspices of the Industrial Liaison Office of Takoradi Technical University, the Faculty has had an educational tour to the Bui Dam. Consequently, a three-year employment contract for products of the Faculty has been signed with the Bui Dam Authority.
- The Faculty has a modern Autotronic Laboratory at the Mechanical Engineering Department for the diagnosis of vehicle problems. This has expanded the training base of artisans. The Faculty intends to run short courses to upgrade the skills of artisans, both within and outside the University.
- The Faculty also has a modern electrical, fluid and hydraulics laboratory which is well equipped and is used to train students and staff from industries; the training of individuals at the laboratory helps them to acquire the requisite industrial skills to make them function properly on their respective jobs.
- The Auto Section of the Mechanical Department in the Faculty of Engineering repairs and services vehicles belonging to the university; the Section also repairs and sevices vehicles belonging to staff.
- The Faculty has a Petrochemical and Hydraulics Laboratory installed by Amatrol Inc., Jefferson, Indiana, USA. Consequently, short courses are organised for students and the public to enable them to acquire technological skills.
The Faculty of Engineering has plans to:
- introduce B. Tech Oil & Gas (Pending Accreditation) from the National Accreditation Board (NAB);
- introduce a B. Tech programme in Environmental Engineering and Management Studies; asc well as
- commence a Bachelor of Technology programme in Mechanical Engineering with many options and also Higher National Diploma in Petroleum Engineering. This is to be achieved in collaboration with Aberdeen University, Scotland.