Takoradi Technical University TTU Faculty of Applied Sciences
The Faculty of Applied Sciences was established in 1993 when the University was upgraded to tertiary status under the Ghana Educational Reforms Programme. The Faculty operates with five (5) Departments, namely: Hospitality Management, Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science, Computer Science, Industrial and Health Science and Tourism Management.
To promote continual training for the teaching and support staff in the Applied Sciences through lectures, symposia, workshops and conferences
To fulfill the general purpose of Applied Science through the pursuit of excellence in teaching, service, research, ethical and moral training
To provide basic Hospitality, ICT, Science and Statistical training in the sciences to students through lectures, practical demonstrations, tutorials, seminars and industrial attachment programmes
To ensure that all students of the Faculty of Applied Sciences are given quality formal education and training through effective and efficient resource management that will facilitate the making of education delivery relevant to the manpower needs of the nation.
The following are the various programmes that the departments of the Faculty offer:
- The Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science Department offers Higher National Diploma (HND) in Statistics and the Access Course into HND programmes;
- The Hospitality Management Department offers HND Hospitality Management (HM), Bachelor of Technology (B-TECH) in Hospitality Management and Advance Cookery (a non-tertiary programme);
- The ICT Department offers HND in Information and Communication Technology and Diploma in Information Technology;
- The Industrial and Health Science Department offers HND in Laboratory Science, Diploma in Science Laboratory Technology and Certificate in Science Laboratory Technician (Part 1) programmes; and
- The Tourism Management Department offers HND Tourism, Bachelor of Technology in Tourism and Diploma in Tourism.
The Faculty has ninety-four (94) staff members – seventy-seven (77) are full-time lecturers and seventeen (17) are administrative staff.
|Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science||23||2||25|
|Information Communication Technology||14||1||15|
|Industrial and Health Science||4||1||5|
|Eudora Hagan||PhD (Tourism Mgt), M. Phil (Tourism), BA (Social Sci.) Dip. Ed. Executive Cert. (STM)||Dean|
|Richard Affum Bannerman||MA (Gender, Culture and Development) University of Sunderland, BA (Political Science)||Senior Assistant Registrar|
ACTIVITIES OF THE FACULTY
The following are the activities that the Faculty undertook in the year under review:
- The staff of the Statistics Department have, and still continue to serve as examiners to the West African Examinations Council; and
- The Faculty has been offering consultancy services and computer literacy training to the university community and the public. Some of the beneficiaries include students from other institutions. The service is available during the Univerity’s holidays.
The Faculty has plans to run HND programmes in:
1) Chemical Process Technology (CBT);
2) Dispensing Technology;
3) Food Science and Technology;
4) Computer Science; as well as
5) Bachelor of Technology Programme in Statistics.