Pentecost University College (PUC) Nursing
Pentecost University College PUC Nursing
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE AND COMPUTING (NURSING DEPARTMENT)
Mission and Vision
The Department’s Mission, vision, and goals are consistent with that of the Pentecost University College which professes to be on the cutting edge of dissemination of knowledge, quality education, research and to produce excellent Nurses who would not only compete with nurses worldwide but excel in all areas as well. We profess to empower students to serve their own generation and posterity in the fear of God.
This philosophy is consistent with the Pentecost University College Mission Statement of the University and the Philosophy of nursing in general; which inculcates caring for the individual clients, family, group or community placed under her/his care as unique persons with peculiar needs. We believe in nursing our clients with the fear of God with the highest integrity, irrespective of colour, belief, race, poor or rich. We believe in life promotion or otherwise life preservation, restoration and rehabilitation; physically, socially, mentally and spiritually whenever possible, or otherwise where death is inevitable to aid the client die peacefully through negotiating peace with God.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program prepares the graduate to:
- Integrate concepts from the Arts and Sciences in promoting health and managing complex nursing care situations.
- Apply Leadership concepts, skills, and decision making in the provision, and oversight of nursing practice in a variety of settings.
- Translate principles of patient safety and quality improvement t into the delivery of high quality care.
- Appraise, critically summarize and translate current research into evidence-based nursing practice.
- Integrate knowledge, processes, and skills from nursing science; information and patient care technologies; and communication tools to facilitate clinical decision-making, and the delivery of safe and effective nursing care.
- Describe the effects of health policy, economic, legal, political and socio-cultural factors on the delivery of and advocacy for equitable health care.
- Demonstrate effective professional communication and collaboration to optimize healthcare.
- Deliver and advocate for health promotion and disease prevention strategies at the individual, family, community levels.
- Demonstrate value-based, professional behaviors that integrate altruism, autonomy, integrity, social justice and respect for diversity and human dignity.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, clinical decision making, and psychomotor skills necessary for the delivery of competent, evidence-based, holistic, and compassionate care to patients across life span.
Applicant with the following qualification may apply for the Bachelor of Sciences Nursing Programme
- A. SSSCE & WASSSCE APPLICANTS
- Holders of SSSCE Grade A – D
- Holders of WASSSCE Grade A1 – C6
Candidates must have THREE CORE
- Integrated Science
THREE ELECTIVES (at least a credit in any of the following):
PURE SCIENCE: chemistry, Biology, Physics / Elective Mathematics
AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE: General agriculture, Physics and Chemistry.
HOME ECONOMICS: Food and Nutrition, Biology, Economics, Management in Living, General Knowledge in Art.
- English literature
- Any Ghanaian Language
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS REQUIREMENT
Applicants with credits or better grades from the under listed fields are granted Admission
- General Arts
- Pure Science
- Agric Science
- Food and Nutrition
Because International Applicants do not have CORE SCIENCE, We accept FURTHER MATHS as replacement.
THE ABOVE CATEGORY OF STUDENTS WILL ENTER LEVEL 100
- A. MATURE APPLICANT :
Applicants must be at least 25years old at the time of submitting the application. Two categories of mature applicants would be considered:
- State registered Nurses (SRN) will be entered at level 200
- Registered General Nurses will be entered at level 200
- Candidates shall have a minimum CGPA of 3.25 or better from accredited institution of Nursing with a pass in good standing with the nursing and midwifery Council of Ghana.
- Eligible students shall attend all lectures, tutorials, mentorship discussions, seminars and practicals and undertake all other assignments as approved by the university.
- Students shall be expected to attend other activities prescribed for the courses they offer.
- A student who is absent for a cumulative period of 21days from all lectures shall be deemed to have withdrawn from the courses.
- Each course shall normally be completed in one semester.
- There are 2 (Two) Levels of Students for BSc. In nursing:
- Academic year August to July.
- Academic session shall comprise Two semester as follows:
- First semester August – December
Structure of Semester
- Thirteen (13) weeks of teaching / Demonstration skills
- One (1) week of revision
- Two (2) weeks of Examination
- Two (2) weeks for short vacations and six (6) weeks practical attachment for long vacations.
- At the end of each semester students will do a 2 – 6 weeks practical / clinical work to enhance the requisite skills development during the course of study.
Second semester: February to July
Academic structure BSc in Nursing
- Introduction to communication skills
- Medical Sociology
- Introduction to General Psychology
- Perspective of Nursing
- Basic Statistics
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology Nursing
- Nursing Theories
- IT and Computer Fundamentals
- Christian and African Culture
- Physiology First Aid and Emergency / nursing
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Physical Assessment
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Pediatric Nursing
- Palliative / Nursing Rehab. Care
- Principles of Curriculum Development
- Customer Relation Management
- Mental Health / Psychiatric Nursing
- Adolescent Health
- Project Work (I & II)
- Principles of Management
- Teaching Methods
- Nursing Seminars
- Reproductive Health
Patient care services: Nursing / Practicals / skills acquisition
The department has designed and developed state of the art programmes / courses to assist the student nurse develop and acquire practical skills / demonstrate critical thinking, clinical decision making necessary for the delivery of competent, evidence-based, holistic, and compassionate care to patients across the life span. The following briefly demonstrates the process:
ON CAMPUS: CAMPUS CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
ii) Skills Lap room: the skills lab. is necessary to re-enforce and update specific nursing skills. (E.g. Bed making skills, Using Pyxis or Med-Select automated medication system to administer medications, accurate data collection from client, family and staff, etc.)
iii) Simulation Room: the simulation lab provides a realistic client care, experience with human client simulators that react physiologically to nursing intervention.
iv) Health Education Computer Lab: Health education computer lab is necessary for required class work, enrichment or absence make up hours. Electronic data are kept from companies / manufacturers on health education computers for student enrichment & conferences, including DVDs and CDs.
v) Video Equipment Lab: in addition, the school has video equipment for demonstration or tutorials.
OUTSIDE CAMPUS: CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
The department has memoranda of understanding with some hospitals in Accra, Cape Coast and Koforidua where our students shall be posted for clinical experience during their training. In addition, students shall have preceptors who have undergone special preparation on PUC’s Philosophy, mission, vision and goals necessary for the delivery of competent, evidence-based, holistic, and compassionate care to patients.
Our faculty is blessed with lecturers, senior lecturers, and professors with proven research records’ extensive experience in patient care teaching, in classroom and clinical units and is recognized by Nursing and Midwifery Council and the National accreditation Board of Ghana. Pentecost University College is currently affiliated with Kwame Nkrumah University of science and Technology, University of Ghana, Legon and it also have collaborative relationship with Foreign Institutions such as Saginaw Valley State University, Michigan.
As a Bachelor of Science in Nursing graduate or a degree holder in General Registered Nurses’ Program, you’re part of a world wide-ranging field of healthcare professionals dedicated to individuals and social well-being. A nursing career offers geographical mobility, financial security, schedule flexibility, and personal satisfaction. Once you’ve completed your studies, some of the possible careers avenues open to you include employment with the following:
- Government and other public sector organizations
- Hospitals and other Health care providers
- Universities and other educational institutions
- Many other businesses and organizations
Furthermore, the need for Nurses in the emerging Home Healthcare Industry and Rehabilitation Healthcare clinics in the country offers greater opportunities for Bachelor of Science prepared Nurses to become entrepreneurs. Opportunities are also available in advancing ones career in education leading Master of Science in Nursing, Research, Education and Doctorial degrees. Advance placement could lead you to advanced Clinical Nurse Specialist, a Nurse Practitioner, an Anaesthetist, Lecturer, or a Professor in Higher Institutions.
In today’s concept of health care delivery with its antecedent scientific and technological explosion, nursing has subsequently moved from instrumentalism to client focus critical thinking and evidence-based practice. Therefore, we strive to prepare our nurses to become highly qualified nurses to meet all these challenges. Our department offers excellent undergraduate program which leads to the Bachelor of Science in nursing featuring a clinical preceptor experience. A nursing career offers geographical mobility, financial security, schedule flexibility, and personal satisfaction. Studies have shown that nurses are often identified as the most memorable part of a patient’s health care experience.
According to Nurses’ and Midwifery Council of Ghana, the country need Bachelor of Science prepared Nurses to take charge of acute care patients, specialty units in hospitals, clinics and polyclinics; managed care, case management, occupational health and nursing management, in addition, there is a need staff for developing nursing officers, and nurse educators both in public and private. Educational institutions, Industries and allied healthcare institutions that are spread all over the country need graduate nurses. Grandaunts are also needed in public health centers sported in all parts of the country.
Are University Of Ghana Forms Out
Are University Of Ghana Admission Forms Out
Is University Of Ghana Admission List Out
Is University Of Ghana Accredited
Where Is University Of Ghana Located
Where Is University Of Ghana
When Will University Of Ghana Forms Be Out
When Will University Of Ghana Admission List Be Out
Does University Of Ghana Accept D7
Does University Of Ghana Offer Architecture
Does University Of Ghana Offer Physician Assistant
Does University Of Ghana Offer Mass Communication
Does University Of Ghana Offer Communication Studies
How Much Is University Of Ghana School Fees
How Much Is University Of Ghana Admission Form
How To Calculate University Of Ghana GPA
How To Check University Of Ghana Admission Status
How To Contact University Of Ghana
Is University Of Ghana Forms Out
Is University Of Ghana Admission Still On
When Was University Of Ghana Established
When Was University Of Ghana Built
Which University In Ghana Is The Best
What Is University Of Ghana
Where To Buy University Of Ghana Admission Forms
Who Built University Of Ghana
Who Established University Of Ghana
University Of Ghana Business School
University Of Ghana Courses
University Of Ghana Address
University Of Ghana Graduate School
University Of Ghana Mis Web
University Of Ghana Medical Centre
University Of Ghana Grading System
University Of Ghana Law School
University Of Ghana Courses Offered
University Of Ghana Logo
University Of Ghana
University Of Ghana Admission
University Of Ghana Admission List
University Of Ghana Admission Forms
University Of Ghana Application
University Of Ghana Admission Office
University Of Ghana Anthem
University Of Ghana Admissions 2021
University Of Ghana Academic Calendar
University Of Ghana Academic Affairs
University Of Ghana Admission Requirements
The University Of Ghana
The University Of Ghana Medical School
The University Of Ghana Business School
Requirements Of The University Of Ghana Law School
Is The University Of Ghana Admission List Out
Are The University Of Ghana Forms Out
The Best University Of Ghana
Courses At The University Of Ghana
University Of Ghana Business School Short Courses
University Of Ghana Balme Library
University Of Ghana Business Courses
University Of Ghana Business School Contact
University Of Ghana Business School Emba
University Of Ghana Business School Mba Fees
University Of Ghana Cut Off Points
University Of Ghana Courses And Requirements
University Of Ghana Contact
University Of Ghana College Of Education
University Of Ghana Accra City Campus
University Of Ghana Computer Science Requirements
University Of Ghana Distance Learning
University Of Ghana Diploma Courses
University Of Ghana Distance Learning Fees
University Of Ghana Diploma Admission List
University Of Ghana Department Of Psychology