About Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration GIMPA- Overview of GIMPA
About Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration GIMPA – Check Below:
Check Out: Lists of Universities Admission Forms in Ghana 2022/2023 (Updated Daily)
In 1966, the joint sponsorship ended and the UN formally handed over the Institute to the Government of Ghana. In 1969, the Institute was then re-designated as the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration to reflect its expanded functions. For more than 50 years, GIMPA’s activities have been guided by five successive mandates, beginning with the first legislative instrument of 1961 to the current GIMPA Act, 2004 (Act 676).
Each mandate affirmed the status of the Institute as the national management development institute to provide for the study of public administration and management of Ghana. By its latest mandate, GIMPA now offers courses in its areas of competence leading to the award of certificates, diplomas and degrees up to the doctoral level. The areas of competence are defined to include training and education in leadership, management, public administration and technology. Today, GIMPA has transformed itself into the leading management development institute and is an independent public tertiary institution with financial and operational autonomy.
GIMPA’s mission is to maintain a Centre of Excellence for training in public and business administration, by continuously enhancing the capability of middle and top level executives in public and private sectors as well as non-governmental organisations (NGOs) both in Ghana and internationally, to manage their institutions and enterprises efficiently and effectively. The Institute is accredited by the National Accreditation Board.
In addition to the institutional accreditation, GIMPA’s academic programmes are also accredited by the National Accreditation Board. The Institute is made up of four schools, namely:
- Business School
- School of Public Service and Governance
- Faculty of Law
- School of Technology
POWERS OF THE INSTITUTE
The institute has powers to:
a. Award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic training distinctions to persons who successfully complete courses of study designed by the Institute and
- Agreed upon by the Council established under section 5 of the GIMPA Act, 2004 (Act 626); and
- Approved by the National Accreditation Board
b. Award honorary degrees agreed upon by the Council;
c. Draw up programmes and provide facilities;
- For the education and training of management personnel in the public and private sectors and NGO’s in leadership and governance skills and in the areas of commerce, industry, public administration, technology policy application, human resource development and management research;
- For research into issues of leadership and governance, management and administration and other areas within the Institute’s competence;
- To promote the exchange of ideas and experience to improve leadership skills, management and administrative capacity within the public and private sectors;
d.Provide consultancy services in the areas of leadership skills, management and administration to support national development;
e. Encourage or sponsor the publication of
- the results of studies
- research; and
- consultancies into leadership skills, management and administration
f. Exercise such other powers that are incidental to the performance of its functions under this Act.