2020 IGNITIA Tropical Weather Forecasting Job Available For Communications Intern
Check Out: Lists of Universities Admission Forms in Ghana 2020/2021 (Updated Daily)
Ignitia is recruiting a Communications Intern to work from our offices in Accra, Ghana
Are you a young professional looking to expand your horizons into emerging markets? We are now looking for a Communications Intern who has the ability to help raise Ignitia’s international profile.
About the Role
As the Communications Intern, you will use your talent at engaging audiences through your written words and eye for imagery to educate, generate important conversations and broaden awareness about the important work that we do. In this role you will primarily support the organisation in creating and executing internet marketing including managing website content, newsletters, and announcements. As part of the marketing team, you will assist our public relations efforts with media relations and outreach to local communities, our partners and supporters. We are looking for a natural storyteller, connector, and translator— a ‘digital native’ who is able to manage many moving parts and turn technical and social data into clear, digestible messages.
· Create and implement a public relations/marketing strategy, and elevate the Ignitia brand
· Manage all social media platforms and the editorial calendar, ensuring that content is sent out regularly and on time
· Help staff prepare for presentations and meetings as needed to ensure all communications are accurate and consistent. Design marketing materials according to specific briefs
· Identify, evaluate, and track media opportunities
· Work with our local monitoring and evaluation team to engage all staff members in qualitative story collection
· Perform site visits to interact with our partners and team members in the field
· Carry out or invent other tasks within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the role
· Bachelor’s degree (preferred degree in communications, marketing, or related field)
· 1-2 years experience in communications, ideally with international experience
· Excellent writing and communication skills
· Project management skills; ability to coordinate and prioritize activities across various project
· Interest or expertise in photography and/or videography
· Well-organized, with strong administrative skills and outstanding attention to detail
· Self-directed, intrinsically motivated; proven capacity to manage work independently, multitask and be responsive to time sensitive deadlines
· Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work diplomatically with diverse constituencies
· Ability to work effectively in an entrepreneurial environment, with the capacity to remain flexible and adapt to change
· Intellectual agility, curiosity, and creativity; problem-solving is your default mode
Ignitia is a high-technology company and social enterprise that has recently developed the world’s first highly accurate tropical weather forecast model. We serve small-scale farmers in West Africa by sending a daily forecast via SMS, provided in partnership with major telecommunication firms and agricultural B2B organisations.
We started in 2010 as a new research team in physics & meteorology, gathered from different renowned universities and research institutions such as NASA. We set out to tackle the difficult problem of accurately predicting weather in the tropics. It wasn’t easy.
After years of painstaking efforts in developing the algorithms and model, we finally had something we wanted to test in the field. Our first trial in 2013 offered 3,400 small-scale farmers in Ghana seasonal, monthly and daily weather forecasts. A mere eight farmers opted out of the service during the season and our accuracy rate was measured at 82%, as compared to the current standard of 39%.
We made it – a reliable tropical weather forecast was born!
For the first time, rural small-scale farmers in West Africa are the first clients of a major technology innovation. We like that … and we’re just getting started!
What we offer you
To be part of a dynamic team in an exciting environment. Due to our lean operations and rapid growth you will get access to greater learnings, freedom, and responsibilities than most companies could offer. Each person plays a significant role in the company and is treated accordingly with a great amount of respect and appreciation.
Some additional perks are also part of the deal – like delicious meals cooked by our own wonderful chef every day for lunch, or the warm sunsets that can be enjoyed from our office balcony….not to mention the beautiful beaches of Ghana where we usually head on weekends!
Start as soon as possible – 6 month internship with the possibility for a longer, full-time position.
The role is located in Accra, Ghana.